Friday, February 4, 2011

Deep Thoughts

I have been thinking a lot about how it is more of a blessing to be the answer to people's prayers instead of having our own prayers answered. Oh how true this is. I know all of us have had randomness in our life but I have been thinking about my role in regards to the people around me. I went to a work training a few months ago and we were learning about the psychology behind franchise sales. They had this great discussion about how often we are so focused on the movie inside our heads that we tend to not see the movie of those around us. We watched this clip about a guy that is late for work so he drives down the highway annoyed at everyone around him, goes to a coffee shop and waits forever in line and is just rude to those around him. Then the movie gets cheesy and he sits down at a table and puts on some glasses that someone left!? Then he starts to see people for who they are. It has labels on people like..."suffering from depression" "never been in a relationship and afraid of rejection" "Struggling with self-worth" and "just needs a friend". I was seriously pinching my leg trying not to cry since it was a room full of men.


But I had this overwhelming feeling of this is it! This is 100% what life is about. Finding out what people are going through and then being the solution. I remember years ago that someone in church made a comment about compliments. All of us know that we stand a little taller when people give a genuine compliment. So why is it that we think a good thought but never say it?
I work with crazy and sane people all day long. And it is fascinating that no matter how ghetto or polished people are they all respond to compliments and they light up when you let them talk about themselves.

So this is my New Years resolution. I know this past year I have totally been in my own movie. My life has consisted of the following work, come home, make dinner, play with the kids, entertain my neighbors, then work on the business with Dustin until we crash. I am pretty dang sure that in the process I have lost my personality and blown off a lot of really good friends. So my apologies. I have been living inside my own sweat shop and then when I interact with the public they get the end product of whatever energy I have left. Oh the life we choose. But I want to change this and I want to help people again. So here's to making 2011 the year of trying to answer other people's prayers.



5 comments:

Johnsens said...

Great goal Chels! This how I have always seen you...a doer and a helper.

Shawna said...

great post- I enjoy having something new to think about and to get me out of my daily ruts. I think you are amazing at everything you are doing in your life and we can't always do good at everything. I'm impressed that you can work, be a mom AND work on starting a business! Noah is really cute! I cannot believe he is already one years old! that did go by ridiculously fast! I am glad he is such a happy little guy!:)

The Bell Family said...

Well said miss Chelsey! I also live in my own movie. Life is crazy. P.S. Avery saw little Brod man's picture and said Boe-dee!

Wilson said...

Love it Chels! So true about going to work, cooking dinner etc. I need to do better at not feeling like my family gets whatever is left over of my energy at the end of the day. I am planning to go part time next year so that so help a bit!! Miss you and I can't believe Noah is already 1. It has been way too long since we have gotten together.

Elise said...

Chelsey! So fun to hear from you!! I like your post too-- your kiddos are getting so big. Crazy!

Life is good here-- we're definitely where we're supposed to be. I wish I had some grand advice for you, but all I can think to tell you is that sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith and jump in with both feet. You are a very intelligent, capable person-- you know in your heart the right direction to go. Sometimes our security blankets are actually keeping us from our potential. :) Maybe that helped, and maybe it didn't. Ha ha-- either way, it was great to hear from you!! Let me know how it goes!