Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Tragedy Beyond Measure


Last night Dustin and I were driving down to Ogden to meet Kyle and Kristi for dinner. We were coming down the hill outside of Mantua when we saw smoke and commotion. When we pulled closer we could see that a bad car accident had just taken place. We pulled over as a fire was about to burst one of the cars into flames. A kind truck driver pulled out a fire extinguisher and put it out as others gathered to assist. I jumped out of the car to offer help and as I ran up the hill I could hear a child screaming and trapped in the car. My heart ached. As I got closer I could see that a truck and suv had hit headon. The woman in the passenger side was still alive but trapped. Some very kind bystanders broke the back window of the suv and pulled the toddler safely out. I remember thinking that he had a mother that loved him because he was in a warm coat and had socks and shoes on. She had taken the time to bundle him up this cold night--this made my heartache more....especially, because she couldn't hold and COMFORT him.


I knew they needed comfort and they needed it NOW. Just then someone yelled that they needed blankets. I knew we had blankets in the car so I went to get them. As I was hurrying away from the scene I saw the mom and I had the impression to take the mom by the hand and to tell her that her son was okay and that she needed to pull through so her kids could have a mom. (but I failed too)

I ran to our car and grabbed the blanket and animal crackers first-in hopes to comfort the little boy. As I was going to get the blanket an officer arrived. I hurried back up with a blanket and the officer took it from me. They ended up needing 2 blankets so I ran back to the car and asked Dustin to bring the second one up. Then a kind lady approached us and asked if the family involved was Spanish and if the needed a translator--it made me feel so good that someone had taken the time to think about this amidst the commotion-eventhough they were not. Then the ambulances arrived and I stayed in our car so they could provide medical assistance.

Dustin returned and said that he didn't think that the mom made it. I sat in disbelief. We later heard on the news that this was true...the mother, father, and a family friend age 9 (only child) had passed away. The toddler, a 5 year old girl in the SUV and the driver of the truck survived.

I post this because I know I will remember this the rest of my life. It hasn't even been 24 hours and I can't stop thinking about these little families and the pain that they must be going through. The driver of the truck had innocently fallen asleep and this was the tragic outcome. I stand in amazement how complete strangers in a situation like this can express empathy and show love for those that they do not know, how a mother's role stands true to the end...holding on until she knows her children are okay. I cannot tell you the gratitude that fills my heart to have my family and to have the Gospel in my life. How precious life truly is...what an eternal gift families are. No matter how bad our situations are financially, emotionally, phyisically, spiritually, it is moments like this that wake us up as people and help us to tap into the realm beyond the veil and hold onto the things we have in this life closer.

I know a few news stations have mentioned that the father of the 9 yr old girl recently lost his job and she was an only child. I believe a fund is set-up for both families at Wells Fargo and would encourage anyone that is able to help. May our thoughts and prayers be with them at this time and Holiday Season.

10 comments:

The Heaton's said...

i feel just sick! i could only imagine the emotions everyone was feeling at the scene, bystandards and victims. everyone is put on earth to complete a purpose, it makes you wonder what purpose had that family just completed to have heaven father bring them back home. my heart aches for that child who no longer has parents. heaven father obviously knows the child is strong enough to handle it. He knows our weakness and strengths. life is precious. thanks for sharing chels.

Anonymous said...

When we were leaving Logan tonight I saw the debris from the accident site, and it was almost exactly 24 hours ago that it had happened...it made my heart so sad. It made me realize how precious life really is, and how much we take for granted. I can't imagine the pain everyone must be going through, something that all of us picture as being our worst nightmare: losing a child, or have to leave our children behind. Chels you are such a good example of being self-less and helping those in need, and I know that the mom is so grateful to you for helping out her kids. I know she would have wanted it that way.

Devin said...

Wow Chelsey. Thanks for sharing your feelings on this. It is horrible to hear of tragedies, especially at this time of the year. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Devin said...

And this is kim by the way.

Courtney said...

What a story, thanks for sharing. I think many of us need reminded about the precious life we have and to live every moment of it to our best. Thanks for being the kind of person that would give blankets and help in such a situation!

Johnsens said...

Chels-
Thanks for the post. Sometimes I get so caught up on the things going on in my own life, that I forget to stop and realize all the things I do have and what really matters. Just want you to know that you are such a selfless person, you are always thinking of others and that is a great talent that you have. Thanks again for sharing that post, it makes me heart go out to their families and loved ones.

Jolyn said...

This story has been on my mind all weekend too. We were also traveling through the canyon Friday night and saw all the flashing lights and the Life Flight take off. It made both Jeff and me so sick inside, and it made me just want to hug my family and my baby and be that much more grateful for the gift of life and family and the gospel. What would we do with the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation?

Anneka @ Anniesays-Anniedoes said...

Thank you so much for posting about that. What a tragedy! We all need a reminder every now and then of how precious life is. I have had the time with my children that I have had. How hard it would be to have to say goodbye to them or vice versa -for a child to say goodbye to a parent. I feel so bad for that man who has to live the rest of his life with this knowledge. May God be with all of them. We will keep them in our prayers.

Wilson said...

The tears rolled down my face as I read this story. It makes you stop and think about the important things in life.

Jamie said...

Chelsey,

I know you don't know us, but I wanted to thank you and your husband for what you did at the scene of this horrible accident.

The family in the SUV, was my husbands brother and wife, along with our precious miracle nephew and niece.

Thought you might want to know as well- that Jaxon (the little boy you saw) is doing just fine. He was released from the hospital that night with barely a scratch.

Kylee, the 5 year old girl- was released from Primary Children's Hospital the Monday after the accident. She's in a body cast with both legs broken, and some lacerations on her head.

Both kids are now living with Tami's parents.

Life is precious. You never think something like this is going to happen to someone you know, or to even yourself. Treasure the time spent with loved ones. You never know what is going to happen, second to second.

Thanks again for your assistance to our family members on that tragic night. It is deeply appreciated.

Justin and Jamie