Tuesday, November 16, 2010

2 Funerals in 5 weeks :(





I feel like the past 2 months I have been in the twilight zone. The end of September my dad's dad died and then a week and a half ago my mom's dad died. Apparently there is a party in the next world that is taking all of the cool people! I have been able to reflect a lot on my roots. My Grandpa Strobel was a very unique man. If I were to describe him in 1 word it would be educated. When I think of the verse in the scriptures that talks about he who has obtained more knowledge in this life will have a greater advantage in the next life, I think of him. This man spoke like 7 different languages and literally knew everything about anything. His parents were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and he grew-up on 83rd street in NYC. He too was a very good missionary. He would smuggle church publications behind the Iron Curtain and would preach the Gospel throughout the world. He served 3 LDS missions. He could care less about what people thought of him and he would offer words of wisdom to strangers on the street. Before he died one of my cousins told a story about how he would randomly ask trivia. Like--Where was President Uchtdorf born? If you didn't know the answer he would close his eyes and dismiss you. Some of his famous sayings were "out of an empty mind floweth nothing" "one can acquire more wealth through marriage than a lifetime of work"
He was a very smart businessman and he loved the Gospel with all of his heart. He was a very generous man and you would always leave his house with something. Another thing he was famous for was sending random articles and newspaper clippings to people. I can only imagine how much he spent in postage each month. Apparently one of my cousins received a newspaper clip out of a lady that was murdered in CA that had her same name. I tell ya... you should be jealous. :) He was a great Grandpa and a great man and we will miss him alot.

1 comment:

me and him said...

chelsey i'm so sorry you had to go through all this within the same 5 weeks. he sounds like an amazing man. i loved his quote on getting richer through marriage. ain't that the truth. my dad always told me, "you can marry more in five minutes than you can make in a lifetime." shoulda listened and married me a prince william! hang in there. i'm thinkin' of ya!